The maiden edition of the Presidential media chat of President Mohammadu Buhari was held on Wednesday, Dec. 30, where the president gave insight to some answers craving issues on the minds of many Nigerians.
The Nigerian President expressed confidence in the integrity of his 36 ministers, confirming further that none of his ministers has a case of corruption against him or her before any court.
“I don’t think I picked anyone that will embarrass my government. But if you have got any evidence against any of my ministers, I accept responsibility for the 36 ministers that I have,” Buhari said.
“I don’t think I picked anyone that has a case in court on corruption; tell me one out of the 36. I know that I have never appointed anyone that is in court for corruption. I don’t think I would have deliberately made that kind of mistake,”
In last night’s media chat, President Buhari revealed why the former National Security Adviser (NSA) Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd) and leader of the Independent Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu have not been released, in spite of court orders.
Buhari said that those responsible for serious offences against the county cannot be granted temporary freedom because they could take advantage of it and jump bail. In other words, the president claimed that the severity of their crimes did not permit their release.
“Technically if you see the kinds of atrocities those people committed against the country. If they jump bail, see the former President wrote to the governor of central bank and said give N40bn to so so and so, and then he gives account and you release him to go and see his doctors in London, while about 2 million IDPs who don’t even know their parents; what kind of country is that?
“And the one you are calling Kanu, do you know he had two passports, one Nigerian, one British, and he came into the country without any. Do you know he brought an equipment into this country and was broadcasting, Radio Biafra; which kind of government do you think should harbor that kind of person? There is a treasonable felony against him and and I hope the court will listen to the case.”
Speaking on the where about of the Chibok Girls, Buhari said: “What we believe from our intelligence, they kept on shifting them around so that they are not taken by surprise and get them (the Chibok girls) freed.”
Buhari addressed issues from security to economy and to politics; below are 15 of important things the President said:
1. I turned down a N400million car proposal for the presidency. I said the cars I have are good enough for 10 years.
2. I am honest with you, I don’t know whether Chibok girls are alive.
3. On alleged maginalization of Igbos: Who is the minister of labour? Who is the minister of science and technology?
4. You want people who stole N50B to be granted bail to go to London when we have 2 Million IDPS in camps?
5. There are evidences of treasonable felony against Nnamdi Kanu
6. By early next year we will not be talking about subsidy of oil in Nigeria any more.
7. We will look into the students already in school to be able to use their MasterCard Debit/Credit cards abroad
8. We made a lot of money in the last 16yrs but it has not been used judiciously.
9. No member of my cabinet is corrupt. If I find them corrupt, I will sack them.
10. Nigeria is not borrowing again but renegotiating with creditors.
11. My VP is quoted on N5,000 per youth pay, how can I come here and deny it?
12. We have to look at the promise of N5,000 allowance even if people have to work in the farm to earn it”
13. If I refuse to agree to spending for my presidency, I wont agree for the legislature.
14. I will revisit the story of the National Assembly spending N4.5bn to buy cars.
15. Fashola was not made Super Minister for nothing.