Why Tubaba Cancelled Peaceful Protest Scheduled For 5th And 6th February


vllkyt4ktbg9kpjba-199e66a5

Innocent Idibia, popularly known as Tubaba (Tuface) has cancelled his planned peaceful protest tagged “One Voice“.

The controversial protest was planned to hold on Monday in Lagos and Abuja,

The Afro Reggae star announced the cancellation in a video early Sunday morning.

Tubaba who used to be popularly called Tuface, explained that the protest was under threat of hijack by other interest groups.

Full text of his announcement follows:
tuface-1
” Dear Nigerians, after due consultations, it has become clear that the one voice protest scheduled to hold in Lagos and Abuja on Monday, February 6 is under serious threat of hijack by interests not aligned with our ideals.

” The point I am intent on making is not worth the life of any Nigerian. It is motivated by the need to negotiate a better deal for the ordinary Nigerian.

” I therefore announce the cancellation of the planned protest.

“We would share further information in due course. We appreciate the massive support .

“I am convinced our voices have been heard.

May God bless you all, may God bless Nigeria.”

The Police High Command had pleaded with musician and others to shelve their planned protests against the Buhari administration, in the interest of peace and public order.

In a statement Friday night issued in Abuja, the police said they were in possession of ‘credible intelligence’ that some other groups are planning a counter protest or marches between 5 February and 6 February, the days the Tubaba group has also planned to hold protests in some parts of the country.

“If these various planned protests/ demonstrations are held as scheduled, that there may be breakdown of law and order, with attendant loss of lives and property”. the police said in the statement signed by CSP Jimoh Moshood.

To demonstrate they were willing to employ any means necessary to keep the peace, the police said they were prepared “to employ every possible legal means for the maintenance of law and order; and for the protection of lives and property”.

“Consequently, members of the public, parents and guardians, religious/opinion leaders and other interest groups are strongly advised to prevail on their children and wards, followers and adherents not to allow themselves to be used by any group to cause disturbance of public peace and break down of law and order”.

The police statement appears to have countermanded the earlier position of the Commissioner in Lagos, Fatai Owoseni, who said the police and Tubaba have reached an amicable solution about the protests: that there would be a protest at a designated place, but no street march.

The presidency spokesman, Laolu Akande also said earlier on Friday that the government will not stop any protest by any group.

Here is the full statement by the police:

The attention of the Nigeria Police Force has been drawn to publications in the media on the planned protests slated for 5th and 6th February, 2017 in Lagos and other States by different groups, one to be led by the popular musician INNOCENT IDIBIA aka TUFACE and other opposing groups.

Nigeria Police Force is deeply concerned with the security implications with regard to the planned protest/demonstrations, and as the lead security Agency in the country, is fully aware and recognizes the constitutional rights of every citizen (including Tu Face and his group) to assemble and move freely in any part of the country.

In this regard, the Force is also cognizant of its constitutional responsibilities of taking any proactive/ preventive security measures:-

* In the interest of public safety, public order, public morality or public health.
* For the purposes of protecting lives and property, as well as the constitutional rights and freedom of other citizens.

The Nigeria Police Force is currently in possession of credible intelligence reports that other interest groups are equally planning to hold a counter protest/marches on the same days at the same places/cities as the Tu Face Group. If these various planned protests/ demonstrations are held as scheduled, that there may be breakdown of law and order, with attendant loss of lives and property.

To this end, the Nigeria Police Force deems it imperative to issue this press release:-

*. That Innocent Idibia (a.k.a Tu Face) and his group are hereby advised strongly to shelve their planned peaceful protest/demonstration in the interest of peace and security.
*That the other opposing groups are equally advised strongly to shelve its planned counter protest/demonstration in the interest of peace and security.

* That the Nigeria Police Force is prepared to employ every possible legal means for the maintenance of law and order; and for the protection of lives and property.

Consequently, members of the public, parents and guardians, religious/opinion leaders and other interest groups are strongly advised to prevail on their children and wards, followers and adherents not to allow themselves to be used by any group to cause disturbance of public peace and break down

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s